Dilute Screens

zzipp

Dilute Screens

Post by zzipp » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:18 pm

I wanted to share a brief experience that I had recently, just to hopefully help others avoid any issues with regards to dilute screens in HPSP: so the other week I had to give a pre-employment urine test for the job I’m about to start, and it just so happened that my color got called the same day. For whatever reason I had trouble peeing for the first screen so, in addition to drinking a pop on the way, I also drank a glass of water at the clinic. En route to the second screen, I drank a Gatorade and then at HCMC I drank more water - just so that I would even be able to provide a sample (again, for whatever reason I was having trouble peeing this morning). When I gave the second screen I noticed briefly that it looked very clear, but I didn’t really think anything of it. However, I (like many of us in this profession) have a lot of anxiety and as such found myself worrying later in the afternoon that my urine might have been dilute. I told myself that this was probably just me being a neurotic crazy person, and that I should calm down...but as is my way, I couldn’t let it go. So I went back to HCMC and gave another sample. Everyone at HCMC looked at me like I was crazy, and one of the techs was even offended that I came back...as though I was implying that he had done something wrong when collecting the first sample. Naturally I felt very foolish and drove home convinced that I had wasted half an afternoon. HOWEVER, when I called my case manager at HPSP to let her know why there were two samples she informed me that my first one was indeed dilute, and that if I hadn’t have given a second they most likely would have had to report me to the board of nursing. SO my point in telling this long winded story is that if you ever have any doubt about your urine being dilute, don’t be afraid to go back and give a second screen. It might just save you from a major issue with your board