Licensure suspension/renewal

zzipp

Licensure suspension/renewal

Post by zzipp » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:45 pm

Hello! My name is Zack and I am am an RN who has been in recovery for 2 and a half years. Though alcohol was my drug of choice, I ended up diverting opiates from my hospital system - which led to my removal from practice in March 2017. Three days following my last day of work as an RN, I was on my way to Hazelden in Center City, MN. Thankfully, due to my willingness to participate in a treatment program, no charges were filed against me. In May of 2017 I left Hazelden and, in the following months, focused on my recovery. In October of 2017, I appeared before the board of nursing and it was decided that my license was to be suspended for a year. I initiated the proceedings to petition for reinstatement of my license in March of 2019. On July 16th I went before the disciplinary panel of the board of nursing; they decided that I had met the requirements for reinstatement of my license, and as of August 1st the full board officially decided to approve the reinstatement! I am currently on the process of applying for jobs - so I don’t necessarily have any advice on that quite yet...but I wanted to post this to give anyone who is going through licensure suspension hope that it is possible to get it back. And to say that I am happy to answer any questions or give any advice I can about the process of suspension and/or reinstatement!

zzipp

Re: Licensure suspension/renewal

Post by zzipp » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Update: I interviewed for a position...and I got it!! So never feel discouraged or defeated when coming back from a licensure related issue. You can work as an RN again, I’m living proof of that! Use your experiences to relay that being in recovery will make you a better, more empathetic provider. Once again please feel free to use this forum to ask any and all questions regarding the board of nursing, licensure issues, and/or interviewing for a job. We’re all in this together when it comes to being in recovery and in healthcare!!

Karla

Post by Karla » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am

Congratulations, Zack!! I am so proud of you. You have overcome so much and recovery looks great on you. Thank you for posting this update. It is incredibly inspirational!!

Free2bme

Post by Free2bme » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:59 pm

Zach, you’re a great example of what we can accomplish in sobriety and I’m glad you’re working in our profession!